Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #559 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Arrive alive --- Pallas --- 1981 (Cool King)

(Note: this is not part of the review, so doesn't count towards the 200-word limit. Whaddya mean, cheater?)Here's where I reveal how old I am. When I bought this album originally it was on vinyl, and though the CD versions seem to have had a lot of extra tracks, they weren't on my copy, and as the initial impression I got of "Arrive alive" is what I want to recreate here, that's what I'm going to use.

I was disappointed with the opener and title track, the only track not recorded live, and "Heart attack", which seems to have disappeared from the later CD releases, was similarly unimpressive. But then...

"Queen of the deep" is a prog masterpiece, with many changes along the way, excellent keyboard work from Ronnie Brown, as well as frenetic guitar from Niall Mathewson. "Crown of thorns" is a painfully lovely ballad, which speeds up at the end to some amazing synth work, but the standout is reserved for last, with the fractured history of a serial killer in a song that has since become a fan favourite.

"The Ripper" starts with disjointed piano and a childlike vocal, then roars into life as the eponymous killer goes on his spree, guitars screaming like his victims, and ends as it began, nursery-rhyme style piano with a chilling maniacal laugh from frontman Euan Lowson against a backdrop of discordant keyboard from Brown. It's also the longest track, at almost fifteen minutes. Pure brilliance.

Between these three, they make "Arrive alive" a triumph, rather than the damp squib promised by the two opening tracks. Glad I perservered, but better opening tracks would have ensured top marks.

TRACKLISTING

1. Arrive alive
2. Heart attack
3. Queen of the deep
4. Crown of thorns
5. The Ripper