Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums you still have to grow into
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Music has a strange tendency to run in cycles with me. For instance, I've had entire months where the only thing I can bring myself to listen to is hip hop only to be followed by a more extended period where I have no interest in hip hop whatsoever. It's always most interesting when I find myself pursuing styles that I've had no real interest in prior. I've learned to honor this trait and not look at it as me being fickle, especially since the tangents often lead me to some interesting music that I wouldn't otherwise discover.
I'm exactly the same way. I feel like there are artists that I don't really listen to, even though they are definitely something I like, but I was simply introduced to them during the wrong cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I guess what I'm getting at is sometimes I run into something that I know is good, but I know it's not where I'm at. It's not uncommon for me to run into it at a later point and wonder why it took me so long to catch on. It's usually after everyone else has had enough of it and moved on, but one thing I don't do is try to force something on myself that I don't immediately like. Like Pedestrian said, there's just too much great music out there to do that.
I agree with the first part of this but you lose me in the second to last sentence. I've found over the years that, a lot of the time, albums that I immediately love on first listen don't end up having much staying power for me, while growers are often the albums I listen to for years to come. If I just dismissed anything that didn't blow my mind on first listen I'd actually be missing out on a lot of my favorite music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote