Music Banter - View Single Post - Music That Is "Ahead of Its Time"
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Red Krayola's A Parable of Arable Land seems an obvious choice
I agree. In fact, I think that the psychedelic pieces in that album are closer to post-punk than psychedelic rock. That's just the vibe that I got from them, though. Occasionally, when I want to listen to some post-punk, I tend to play that album along with many others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyshape View Post
What kind of music did krayola influence btw? I don't know much about them.
Well, I know for a fact that they influenced Pere Ubu, Chrome, and The Raincoats. However, I can't specifically say who or what else they influenced... but I can say that their first two releases contain early examples of: punk rock and new wave, industrial music, noise rock, noise, post-punk, and indie/alternative rock. They were also helped pioneer free improvisation, which was a relatively young genre at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail With It definitely influenced a lot of punk/New Wave
I think it's their best album actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
White Noise are the first band that come to mind when I think of music ahead of it's time. This track is from 1968 and sounds shockingly trip-hop-ish to me:

Delia Derbyshire = amazing

I think that The United States of America and Silver Apples rank among them as well. I mean... Silver Apples were basically a more psychedelic version of Suicide. Also... they pretty much invented minimal synth, and they helped pioneer electronic dance music.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 12-03-2011 at 08:48 AM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote