Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Blues Guitarists.
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Allow me to first start off by saying I simply adore this woman's music (voice, guitar playing, and all), and she is slowly becoming one of my favorite blues artists. However, she (unfortunately) wasn't "discovered" until she was in her early 60s. Before then, she worked as a maid (among many other things) just to support her family and had to give up the guitar in the process (which she had been playing before she reached her teens). Anyways... Cotten finally managed to release her debut album in 1958, which stood as a significant and highly influential piece of music.

To mention a few things, she invented several of her own chords as well as created a completely unique guitar picking style (which would later be referred to as "Cotten picking").

I'm also quite fond of Son House's guitar playing... whether his guitar is slightly out of tune or he's just beating the hell out of its strings. In fact... I can safely say I prefer the more acoustic side of blues. I think that it feels more "genuine"... if that makes any sense.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 12-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote