Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #59 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

I like Zappa more as a person, but I love Beefheart's music MUCH more, especially Trout Mask Replica. TMR, like it or not, completely flipped the musical universe upon its head.

I feel sorry that people interpret Don as such an egotistical individual -- he was truly gifted creatively but seriously could not give a damn what others saw in him.

If Trout Mask Replica was recorded with HALF the technical expertise that's exercised in common practice today it would have had an even more momentous impact (as far as general exposure goes).

I love them both to their deaths...I am extremely happy I got exposed to Zappa as a child and happier still that I got to experience Beefheart before he died.

But I will never, EVER question why Beefheart made the choice he did in 1982 (setting aside the world of music permanently) -- he was clearly plagued by terrible inner demons that nobody here could ever fully appreciate. That he had the wherewithal enough to choose life is for me something I wholeheartedly endorse.