Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Support Your Local Team?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

I grew up in a San Francisco Giants baseball house, and I've always been fairly disinterested. So technically no, but I guess on some levels I like them more than any other team. I certainly don't 'root' for them or watch their games.
Growing up it was Giants baseball or bust in my family. And it still is, but I don't live with family anymore so it doesn't bother me anymore. I could hold a conversation about baseball if I had to, but I'd rather not. I enjoy going to the games, but I usually don't watch them. Just check the score and inning to see how long I got hanging out at the park. I don't remember the older stadium at Candlestick, besides that it was ugly and cold.

I'm not a fan of being a fan. I don't like joining the mob of people hell-bent on cheering on their colors. It doesn't matter who's on the team. In 15 years time not a single member of the team will likely still be there, and so on, so I don't really understand that. I don't understand what's so enthralling about sports that it becomes a sort of religion. I've been around sports fans all my life and I really don't see what they get out of it. Win or lose, I'm indifferent. A loss for them is a quiet night and a win for them and they're all in a good mood. Isn't that really unhealthy and stupid?

I recently came up to Eugene, Oregon, and all the businesses have "Go Ducks!" in the windows, everyone's got green and yellow paraphenalia on them or their vehicles. The cabs are painted green and yellow. I was thinking to myself "This town is really nice, I like the weather, but this whole college football thing baffles me". I mean, seriously, this isn't even NFL, this is the local college. What's so damn interesting about watching these children (18-23 years old I assume) play? Why do they sell more seats at this college game than the Giants do tickets at a playoff game? I guess that's the popularity of baseball isn't it?

Sports confuse me.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote