Music Banter - View Single Post - Music That Is "Ahead of Its Time"
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Agree 100% on the Talking Heads

I would put Fates Warning on the list, who is beyond underrated in the world of progressive metal. and I absolutely credit them with being the first true prog-metal band, and you rarely hear anything about them anywhere. They were called the American Iron Maiden, but the depth of their music goes well beyond Maiden's, Compare this to what Maiden were doing in '86. I also like John Arch's vocals better than Dickenson's.

I think I'm one of the few that was a huge fan of Fates Warning in the late 80's. Retrospectively it's hard to compare Iron Maiden and Fates Warning, as Maiden was far more accessible, had much more tangible lyrics, and as far as musical styles are concerned are concerned were much more anthemic, but at the time Fates Warning was in fact the closest living American relative to Iron Maiden.

I agree that Fate's Warning were far ahead of their time, which explains why they didn't cultivate more of a fan base. Revisiting their music, it hasn't aged as well as you think it would have, but the concepts are to to this day still quite fresh and progressive. No Exit is one of the very few 80's metal albums I still own.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote