Music Banter - View Single Post - The Philosophy of Psychiatry
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post

I believe when people are sick from chemical imbalance, a change in lifestyle can help most. A change in diet (quite important I think, sugar, milk, wheat and so on has shown to negatively affect mental health) and learning better ways to emotionally deal with stressful situations for example. Still, there are cases where people who feel perfectly fine on medicine believe they can stop taking them and descend back into psychosis, so I'm also open to the idea that some people just need to be medicated. Perhaps environment could be changed for them in such a way that they might not get sick had it changed sooner, but that it's too late as an adult.

Generally, I believe psychiatry helps a lot of people.
I'm very curious about the causation of chemical imbalances as it relates to environmental and experiential stimuli and the brains ability to normalize itself, or recover on a chemical level. At what point does the brain lose it's ability to bring these imbalances back into equilibrium on its own? I'm not even sure if that's an answerable question.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote