Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #78 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's interesting that you mention this, because it's a topic that does come up briefly in the book, and I'll paraphrase what was said on the matter.

During the study wherein women were asked who they found more attractive during stages of their cycle, when most fertile they preferred the "fit" artist, but during the remainder of the cycle, they preferred the wealthy (resourceful, stable) average man.

It is implied in the novel that fit creative types are preferred for reproduction, and average types who are able to provide for the family are preferred to raise the offspring.

It is noted that 10% of European women admit to raising a child their spouse mistakenly believes is their own, and that 50% of spouses have reported cheating on their significant other.
Oh good, the discussion goes there. Voice quality is linked to facial symmetry, which I suppose in turn is linked to bilateral symmetry and athletic ability. Therefore, in a sense, singing demonstrates physical attractiveness and fitness indicators. (Also, ill people usually cannot sing well.) My suspicion is that in the animal kingdom and human history, singing is partly an opportunity for someone's appearance to be evaluated at length. It might have been a popular method a few hundred years ago, when for example maidens would sing for royalty.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote