Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Gong and Hawkwind albums to start off with?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Gong is a very interesting band as it's had so many line-up changes and have so many off-shoot bands (the "Gong family" of bands). The amount of musicians which have been involved in Gong in some form is pretty amazing. Daevid Allen is of course also an interesting character, definetly one of the more charming musical weirdos, the sort who will stop mid-song during a concert to tell you about the strange thought which suddenly occurred to him.

I have to admit that drug induced psychedelic rockery is not on my favourite list of musical delights, so my favourite incarnation of Gong is (still) actually the one led by Pierre Moerlen which also featured the highly virtuosic Allan Holdsworth on guitar and the brilliant Didier Malherbe on saxophone. Pierre Moerlen's Gong was more or less straight up Jazz Fusion with a lot of (wonderful) melodic percussion.

Sorry if this seems like a plug, but I'm actually holding a little writers contest on my site where the winner can win a Best of Daevid Allen album. Gong fans might wanna check it out