Music Banter - View Single Post - Drone Doom
Thread: Drone Doom
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
I have to say, I cannot like this kind of music. When I listen to it, I either get bored, start feeling like my ears are bleeding, or in the case of the first song in the Opening Post, more than a little creeped out...

the Earth song SATCHMO linked to I quite like, though I can agree with the statements saying that it is rather more accessible, probably due to the lack of overbearing distortion :P I guess I'm wondering what it is about this genre that people like? Also, as an aside, are you all fans of post-rock? I guess I'm just interested in finding out why it's interesting, it might help me get into it a little bit.
Obviously I can't speak for anybody else, but the reasons why I like drone doom are manifold. Primarily, I find the tones and textures cultivated through layers of distortion and dissonance deeply engaging. It forces me to actively listen to the music to identify the underlying sounds, and as a consequence I find myself more absorbed in this type of music than any other.

Also, I love the atmospheres drone doom evokes. They're very affecting for me personally and I find myself totally consumed in moods and themes I otherwise find intangible.

Ultimately, listening to drone doom is a hugely stimulating experience, both mentally and viscerally. Depending on what you want from it, it can allow you to escape yourself, or delve deep into yourself.

To answer your other question, I love post-punk, yes.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote