Music Banter - View Single Post - Spill Your Guts: What You Really Think About MB members
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #1023 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Duga just popping up there reminded me:

Duga: His posts in the "Evolution of Music: Accident or Adaptation?" were the very wisest I've come across. Even wiser than Tore. Sorry for quoting the whole thing, but every sentence is just so good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
So you guys mentioning music being organized sound kinda leads into this. For some reason no one (the authors of that book included from what I could tell) has talked about how the human brain is basically just a big pattern recognizer. We recognize patterns visually and respond to them. We recognize patterns of touch and respond to those as well. Hell, even taste and smell are just recognizing patterns. Certain foods bring a lot of joy because of this. Ever smelled something that takes you straight back to when you were a little kid? Music is no different.

Humans are fascinated by patterns. We instinctively want to recognize patterns. When we experience something that is difficult to deduce a pattern from, we get really frustrated. I for one get really frustrated with a lot of avante garde music because my mind has a hard time latching on to a pattern in the music...which I unconsciously look for whenever I listen to music. Sometimes this motivates me to listen to it more just to figure out if there is something there. Scientific discovery is, in essence, just looking for patterns in nature. I feel all the factors mentioned (co-evolution and music's use as a courtship display) had an effect, but in the end music has lasted because the essence of music is patterns and we as humans frikkin love patterns. That's why music will always be around in some form.

I feel people like us - the audiophiles - have recognized that these patterns are connected to our emotions and memories and we are obsessed with that. It's like a drug. And I'll agree with jackhammer that I feel incredibly sorry for people who haven't experienced the rush involved with hearing something that really clicks.
Probably one of the most enigmatic people I've encountered here. I'd love to see you around again!

Blaster: It can upset me a bit that people keep saying things like "angriest member" or "worst debater". What he says is very convincing and he clearly knows a fair bit about music. Sometimes emotions manifest themselves differently on the internet, and someone trying to put an argument across sensibly might sound really condescending without meaning to. I know he told someone to *@#! off, but people do that quite a bit. I also think it was very nice of him to only post about members he likes. He could have said some really unpleasant things, but he chose not to.

Odyshape: Really starting to like this guy. Everything he says is adorable, and his watch looks very nice. I want him to come over to Scotland soon.

Killcreek: It got a bit annoying when people were discussing some aspect of guitar artistry in blues music and she posted something like "Scott Stapp". Got on my nerves whenever she turned up. She just didn't want to relate to anyone.

Loathsome Pete: Worst username ever. Firstly, he is not loathsome in any way. He is a very funny, thoughtful and generally amicable contributor. And secondly, I don't think his name's really Pete. I think he's more of a Horatio, to be honest.