Music Banter - View Single Post - Does amazing music justify the grief that produced it?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastrub View Post
The most striking musical example of this is Nick Drake. Drake's first two releases (Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter) were lush and, although not lacking darkness, upbeat records oriented around Joe Boyd's slick production style and his mellow Donovan-esque songwriting. Although these two albums are quality records in my opinion, they still come off as dated, and some of the songwriting is undeniably generic.
I don't agree with this at all. His first album is his best imo. The second is overproduced, but the third is underproduced (unfinished I suppose too). His last is probably his weakest for me, but it gets romanticised by people as he died soon after the recordings.

And I'm not sure artists can be creative during despair, that is likely to sap them of energy and creative thoughts. It's a bit of a romantic era view that artists are best when suffering, normally they show suffering in their work after they have suffered and when they feel free to be creative again. And I'm not sure sad or dark work has to be seen as better than more serene or happier efforts either.