Music Banter - View Single Post - MB GENERAL ALBUM CLUB: Pg.Lost - Key
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #346 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

I should probably set the ball rolling.

1) What are this albums' strengths?
It's a highly evocative and atmospheric piece, utilising subtle tones and textured layering to create a depth in the music. It's in this depth where the beauty lies, and if you open yourself up to it, it's massively rewarding.

2) What are its weaknessess?
It's an album that works best when absorbed as a whole. For some, each individual song may not offer enough in terms of a hook, and if that's what you're looking for, this isn't an album for you.

3) How does it compare to the artist's other work?
The band have released three albums, and this is my favourite. It just sounds more organic and absorbing than the others.

4) Favourite songs?
Hmm, I really like all of them. I guess Stockard Drive, Early Evening Reverie and Untitled are favourites. Untitled in particular is amazing.

5) What feelings did this album evoke?
Isolation, being in a state of detachment from the rest of the world. This isolation is a sanctuary - a place of calm - where one can share a moment with the world around them, cradled by melancholic, quiet contentment.

6) How does this album fit into your regular rotation?
It's something of a regular, especially in the autumn and winter months.

7) What stood out to you about this album's themes, musically/lyrically?
There's an endlessness in the music that reflects the sheer scale of the universe around us, and our insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Yet, the album is not mournful in nature, instead suggesting to the listener that we should embrace said insignificance and marvel at the understated beauty that surrounds, manifesting in the moon, stars, trees, sun and snow.

8) If you've had any noteworthy experiences with this album, what have they been?
I remember sitting in my room with an ex-girlfriend one evening listening to this whilst it snowed buckets outside. It's a very fond memory of mine, and one that contributes to my affection for it..

9) What do you know about this album's creation? Any interesting facts or anecdotes?
I know very little about the band itself, there isn't much information on them. I know it was produced by a guy from Mahogany, a band that also shared a split with Aburn Lull prior to the album's release.

10) How does this album represent the chosen theme?
It sonically conveys the cold, still and distant nature of a winter's night. When frost glistens under the moon, alone in a blackened blue sky. You can almost taste the chilled, crisp air when listening to the wavering tones and textures weave in and out of each other.

11) How does this album compare to other albums nominated for this theme?
Well, I personally think it reflects that wintery mood a lot more than The Lonesome Crowded West and White Light/White Heat. The others I'm not too familiar with, but for me this album just captures the intangible perfectly.

12) How does this album compare to others in its genre?
It's not far from being shoulder to shoulder with the best work from FSA, Landing, Malory and Bethany Curve.

13) Can you recommend similar albums to this?
Landing - Seasons, Malory - Outerbeats, Mahogany - The Dream of a Modern Day, Flying Saucer Attack - Distance,

14) What does this album's artwork say about it? Is it well paired with the music?
It conveys the hazy, almost weary elegance of the album, with the dulled greys and browns, barren skies and fuzzy car.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote