Music Banter - View Single Post - War on Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Calm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
What gets me going is when someone claims we are a Christian nation. When was this proclamation made? A great part of living in the United States is you a free to practice/not practice any religion you want. If you want a Christian nation go to Costa Rica or Scandinavia. If you want a Muslim nation go to Jordan or Egypt. If you want a Jewish nation go to Israel. As individuals we need to respect that other people are not into the same stuff as you are, so respect that by not shoving one's beliefs down the gullet of another's.
The funny thing is, while countries like those in Scandinavia, and even the UK, are technically Christian nations, they are becoming ever increasingly atheist. No country is really what it claims to be, and to the rest of the western world the US seems to be quite scarily Christian - as shown in politics, media etc. It's not in writing, per se, but it's culturally enforced.

As far as "Happy Holidays" goes, I know for a fact that I could not care less. People like to be riled up about something though - as getting riled up over anything actually important would require effort and justification - might as well be about whether you are judged slightly for saying "Merry Christmas".

Happy Christmas Holidays!
Calm is offline   Reply With Quote