Music Banter - View Single Post - The Black Keys
Thread: The Black Keys
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #275 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

I have to go over their stuff for a tracks list, but I can do an album list pretty easily.

1. Chulahoma- I'm adore this album and its hypnotic, muddy blues ramblings. I only wish this was a full album since every time I play it, I crave more from it. At least you can listen to 'Everywhere I Go' on Thickfreakness can get more Keys doing Junior.

2. Magic Potion- This album reminds me of Robert Johnson a lot. There is more of a delta blues feeling to these songs compared to the more garage rock influenced earlier work. The hooks are great and I think there is not a weak song on this album/

3. Rubber Factory- Classic Keys. 'When the Lights Go Out' is easily one of my favorite songs. I wish their more recent albums had the kind of variety that was on here.

3a. Thickfreakness- Those first 3 tracks are amazing. It slows down a little bit for me by the end. But it's a great album.

4. Brothers- I think it says something when my favorite track on the album is the one least like the rest of their previous work. ('Too Afraid to Love You') It is easily the bluesiest of their last 3 albums, so that gives it the edge.

5. Attack and Release- There is a lot I don't care for on their album. But 'I Got Mine' and 'Strange Times' are amazing. They are the only 2 lifeboats on this Titanic.

6. The Big Come Up- I like the samples they use on this album. But it really feels like this album is stuck in first gear. It jerks and starts and stops too much for me. 'Heavy Soul' is pretty good, but the rest is severely lacking.

NA El Camino- I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet. The first time I heard it I was kinda distracted and it didn't ever give me a reason to go back and check out something. It did sound more energetic and my vague memory of 'Little Black Submarine' is pretty good. If you had a ten cent pistol pointed at my head and made me rank it right now, I'd say it's between Attack and Release and The Big Come Up.

And for sh*ts and giggles, Blakroc is #4.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote