Music Banter - View Single Post - Foster the People
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Yeah, see that's not what I would call Standard. In truth, I don't think it would be possible to denote any music as standard, as there is no musical standard... There is standard within a genre, true. Had you said "Standard Alt/Indie-pop", or something similar, I would have been more inclined to agree out of hand.

I think where we disagree is that you refer to their abilities as "average over a wide range of aspects combined into one" and not notable enough to distinguish it from anything else in a genre that doesn't really interest you. Whereas I would say that it is a solid, well worked debut album from a group who show potential in a number of different areas, in a genre that I haven;t had a lot of exposure to, which probably works in the band's favour. No, it is not a breakthrough album, no it doesn't have anything new or revolutionary, but it's fun, it's good, and it'll be interesting to see what they do next, now that they have had public success.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote