Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #106 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
To me music is just a series of coherent patterns that we've been conditioned to associate with our emotions. So I believe music to be more an evolution in communication than anything else.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. When I sit down to play some Scott Joplin on the piano or work out some finger picking on the guitar, I'm not remotely interested in whether anyone's heard me or not. I do it because it sounds pleasing to me, and I enjoy it for the sake of that. It could be considered merely releasing endorphins as a natural response from my endocrine system, but I think that if if it were something intrinsic to communication and me assuming it's connection with emotion is purely me having been "conditioned", then somehow I would feel that what I'm doing is more of a message than an "acceleration of celestial experience".

Last edited by Salami; 12-11-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Too condescending when I didn't intend it to be.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote