Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #109 (permalink)
Rubato
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, sweetheart. When I sit down to play some Scott Joplin on the piano or work out some finger picking on the guitar, I'm not remotely interested in whether anyone's heard me or not. I do it because it sounds pleasing to me, and I enjoy it for the sake of that. You can tell me that it's merely releasing endorphins as a natural response from my endocrine system, but I think that if if it were something intrinsic to communication and me assuming it's connection with emotion is purely me having been "conditioned", then somehow I would feel that what I'm doing is more of a message than an "acceleration of celestial experience".
Communication has more than one form, if Someone writes something down in their diary it's not for the amusement of the reader. If you play a Scott Joplin piece he's communicating to you, it's not a requirement that you pass it on to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I agree with Rubato, actually, because his/her post supports music as a spandrel of language.
*his*

Last edited by Rubato; 12-11-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote