Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #122 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
I never liked this idea. I don't think music is a language, I think it's a multitude of languages. Music is an expression of language like speaking, or writing. It can't be serialized to a particular language.

Trust me, if there's one thing that mb has taught me, is that it's definitely not universal.
Every language has dialects. Not all music is the same language, indeed. Different music "speaks" to different people. However, the genres of music that are most likely to result in that lack of universal understanding are those more modern styles of music, where, like art, music has begun to be an abstract form of expression as well as an (purely) emotional one. The old, old forms of music, in my experience, do not tend to have that vagueness.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote