Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #128 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
You interpret my meaning incorrectly, Salami. When I say music is a spandrel of language, I don't mean that it is literally language, or necessary for the function of language, or anything of the sort.

What I mean is that music is a convenient, pleasurable side effect of all of the tools that we use to comprehend language.

People posting in this thread seem to have either taken the topic too literally or too ambiguously. I get the feeling most people in this discussion haven't read and comprehended all of the content in the first post, because a lot of ideas are being thrown around that the information presented contradicts, or that simply have nothing to do with the root topic.

This is why I've pretty much shut up since Tore posted, because I agree with Tore (so there's not much to argue about), and because most other posters seem to have missed the point whilst skimming the page (or jumping to the tldr).
Sorry about that. I know I read your original review, but I might not quite have understood you correctly. When I said things like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
music is indeed intrinsic to language because language is more of a form of expression, and is about communicating that feeling
...I probably ought to have made it clear that the idea of language is itself an expression, and music is using the same process to be an expression too. Although that isn't really putting it clearly.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote