Music Banter - View Single Post - (_____) Changed My Life.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Default (_____) Changed My Life.

To me, hip hop has always been a transformative genre of music. As a young kid, listening to various artists has always produced such strong emotions that my paradigms about life, the world, history, and relationships has changed. Hip hop has the power to enlighten, and also to corrupt, but my question to all y'all true rap lovers out there is; what artists really catalyzed a change in your perceptions of life?

Some examples

Raekwon the Chef & Ghostface Killah - Two of the most enigmatic and truly mystifying artists hip hop has ever produced, Raekwon's lyrics are something I personally believe should be mandatory listening for anyone serious about rap. Ghost's litany of personalities lends both comedy and variety of quality lyrical style to his raps that really set him apart from any other rapper out there. Wu as a whole really personifies an elevated style of lyricism that reflects innovation in syncopation and depth of subject.

Pep Love - Hiero's most underrated rapper in my opinion, Pep is absolutely devastating on the microphone and his slick rhyme style and intricate flows feature perfectly over Hiero's unique production. One of my favorite rappers of all time, his verses on Souls of Mischief's "Yeah It Was You" was one of my first introductions to his otherworldy rap abilities. "Love Flowin" is another classic Pep track that I highly recommend listening to.

James Dewitt Yancey - Obviously anyone who knows me or has familiarity with my previous postings should know of my affinity for Dilla. His music is timeless and evokes overwhelmingly intense emotions in me to the point that I am quite honestly left breathless when I listen to some of his work. I can honestly say without hyperbole that he was and continues to be the greatest producer of this or any other era.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote