Music Banter - View Single Post - The Robert Johnson Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #67 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to suggest that Robert Johnson invented the blues, which would be completely ridiculous if they did. But I do think there is more to his music than just a unique finger style technique. Are his lyrics the same lyrics the blues artist before him used? Blues relies on emphasizing, especially 70 some odd years ago. I personally would have to be convinced by more than just a few personal opinions concerning the originality and innovation of Johnson's talent before I would suggest or believe that he is overrated. I have actually listened to his music in depth.

And I personally hear the same thing Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Jimmy Page, just to mention a few have heard, Genius.
I was not trying to say he is overrated, he's definitely not. I honestly don't know much about his originality. His lyrics are great, I agree.

I was just saying that I've never thought of him as being really original, but I'm not saying he isn't. I've just always thought of him as one of the greatest guitarists ever.

Did a little research and found this:

Johnson's poetry is currently being taught at the University level, in particular, Victor Cabas' "Mississippi in Story and Song" at the University of Virginia.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote