Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #149 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

I'm a bit late to this thread, but Pedestrian, I disagree with his bird theories. I'm not an expert in biology but know that birds use song to court and to communicate, human brains are very different from that of birds and we use language as a way to communicate (as well as body language etc). Before I read the quotes I thought that a human hearing a bird sing or whistle may have stimulated song to a passing human in early times, well before music was evident. Thoughts?

In terms of women in music, I think there is some thought lacking in his theories. I can see how a male creating music would be considered courting in some respect because it can bring out emotion and sexual stimulation in women, but why not both ways?

Do we really know that there is more men creating music than women? Is it possible that men dominate the music industry both by record labels and performers themselves?