Music Banter - View Single Post - I don't like your taste in music, and people hate me for it.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #57 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I don't see the difference. And if you hated 95% of the songs played how could you have liked it? Imagine having to listen to the same music over and over again too. Music is something that is a choice, not an imposition.
I would groan and moan about just about every song played, and what's worst is they have a small enough playlist to hear the songs everyday.

The store has the idea that if it plays generic radio music that won't offend anyone it will put people in a better mood. My qualms were that it was too G-rated, and that I wish I could pump through something of my own with a little more flai, but still acceptable, like Incubus for example, or maybe some mellow jazz.

I am talking about corporate Safeway by the way, but I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store that didn't have something playing.

For example, right now most businesses are playing Christmas music. I generally despise most all Christmas music and try to bring headphones into stores this time of year. But their idea is solid in their viewpoint... they feel it's more welcoming than silence ... which it is. I think it's eerie when stores are silent. They don't care that they're not pleasing the 10% of us that like music enough to care that they play generic adult contemporary radio music, because most of the families listen to that stuff.

I don't think they should cut the music out of the store because they play upbeat family-approved music like Alannis Morisette, etc. (I don't know the names of most of the artists, but have heard them on the radio growing up with my mom for example)

On the flip side, I went to the Dollar Store where I used to work. They USED to have a control box for the music where I could change the genre from adult contemporary, and they had holiday, surf, and soul genres. Quite limited but I enjoyed the surf channel the most, with the likes of Dick Dale and so on...
Well I went back there and corporate policy is now NO music. They weren't even playing Christmas music. It was akward.. I don't think that was a good policy decision. It's like a funeral procession. Very quiet, people whisper FFS ... and all you hear is the sound of the cash registers and cashier up front, and occasionally someone drops something. That's not a very inviting place to shop. I'm happy they're not playing Christmas music, but who wanted them to turn off ALL the music.

Sounds like the Dollar Store has been having conversations such as we are in this thread.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote