Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #56 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Long Long Long's a bloody great song. I love weird wailing, cascade-drumming thing that takes the song to its conclusion as well...the last 10-15 seconds, namely, which I read somewhere was improv'd on the spot. On the whole though, it's always been one of my favourite White Album tracks. Oddly enough, I've never really liked Helter Skelter all that much. It's a decent song, sure, but far from a favourite of mine (and I say this as someone who's basically an obsessive Beatles fan).
I like Helter Skelter quite a bit and I think it sounds surprisingly fresh, but it's no Long, Long, Long
Can't say it's one of my favourites either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
The White Album gets a bit weaker for me by, from what I remember, the last 4 songs. Certainly quite a few classics on it though. Harrison's vocal here doesn't sound that dissimilar to Lennon at times, and I wonder about the influence they may have had on each other (particularly Harrison's more spiritual side on Lennon). Lennon also used Indian instruments like Harrison often did on an early track like Norwegian Wood. I do love the wide variety of pop from McCartney and the rest of them but it was nice to have this spiritual / experimental side which was added to their sound, and I wonder if it started more from Harrison than any of the others.
You know, I'd say that it's correct to assume that George Harrison was chiefly responsible for the development of spirituality within The Beatles, and I think Long, Long, Long illustrates just that. I can't really think of any other song that's as emotionally engaging as Long, Long, Long in the Beatles catalogue, and they're anything but devoid of emotion.

Regarding the White Album, I think it's a bit too sparse. I'll just go with the pretentious opinion and say it sounds like a compilation and not like a true album. A very good compilation, however.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote