Music Banter - View Single Post - Beavis and Butthead
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Odyshape
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I've honestly almost given up hope in seeing truly original content anymore. I love the **** out of Mike Judge, but I've not watched a single episode of the B&B reboot. I likewise haven't seen a single episode of Ren & Stimpy for when that was rebooted on...Spike, I believe? Way too drunk and lazy to double check that. (I know that wasn't Mike Judge, but still - nostalgia + reboot...)

Anyhow...there are so many people who are now dead to me, who I previously respected the hell out of. One of these examples being Tim Burton who hasn't done anything orginal since Big Fish which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I agree with Ska in that it is no longer relevant...I did love Daria, but the kids who identified with Daria quickly became the kids who identified with Ghost World, then the kids who identified with Juno. It's just that everything seems to be becoming so repetitive and asinine that I'm predominately dismayed with the entertainment industry.
Don't watch the ren and stimpy if you don't want to be very very veeeery sad.

I agree with the whole repetition and glorification of being "alternative" being annoying. Especially when its such a gradual thing. You are like wow that person is so cool. Then you see the other 10 people mimicking that person on television and it almost ruined what you liked in the first place.

Personally though I think Daria is a little bit different than any characters I have seen in the "alternative scope". She seems much more honest and concerned with doing her own thing rather than teenage insecurities but at the same time she has an incredibly balanced dynamic of being able to make slight adjustments to her attitude according to her experiences. It makes her a very realistic character despite her out of reality role of being in a cartoon with embellishment and the relatively safe world she lives in.
Odyshape is offline   Reply With Quote