Music Banter - View Single Post - A Nice Guy's Music Musings
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

"Invisible touch" is not one of my favourite Genesis albums, in fact sometimes I dub it "Invisible talent"! There are some good songs on it, but you're right in that it's really a continuation of the annoying pop sound they inflicted on us with the shocking "Abacab", which was so bad and such a shock to the system that I almost went entirely off Genesis. Luckily the follow up was miles better, and in fairness I was pleasantly surprised by "We can't dance", but then "Calling all stations" hammered in the nail into the coffin. Well, to be accurate about it, if I'm honest, "Abacab" pushed Genesis into the coffin, "Genesis" was their desperate attempt to get out of the box -- "We're not dead! Really we're not!" --- "Invisible touch" pushed them back down, hammered in some nails, "We can't dance had them banging on the inside of the lid (but no-one really heard them) and of course "Calling all stations" knocked in the final nails and allowed them to be lowered into the ground. You're dead now, guys!

For me, the last great Genesis album was "and then there were three", though "Duke" is a fine album too, but you could see the slow leanings towards pop with songs like "Misunderstanding" and "Turn it on again", not surprisingly the biggest hits on that album, and some of Genesis' biggest recent hit singles too.

I hated the pop sound of IT with a few exceptions: I like "Tonight, tonight, tonight" and "Domino/The last domino", and indeed "In too deep" is a great ballad, probably a result of Collins' by then successful solo career. But I must take issue with you over Tony Banks' keyboard style: sack him? Well, pointless now of course, but the guy virtually held the band together imo and he's a keyboard genius! Listen to his solo albums "A curious feeling" or "Seven: a suite for orchestra" and see if you disagree. Now Collins --- there's a man who almost single-handedly plotted (if subconsciously) and eventually achieved the fall of one of the mightiest prog bands the world has ever seen...