Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #259 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Nice. I still have a crappy clarinet in my closet but I've never managed to produce sound from it, pretty sure the mouthpiece is missing a few components to hold the reed in place with enough pressure or something.

I also picked up a flute earlier this past summer for all of $30 (and a melodica the same week), the flute is a Gemeinhardt M2, and I CAN make sound with this one
I wish my flute was $30, but no... the base price for mine was about $3,500 but then I outfitted it with a custom mouthpiece (head joint), which was another $1,500, so $5,000 plus tax. Silver body, silver plated keys, and solid silver head joint. Of course, everything is chrome plated because tarnished silver is just ass ugly. Bought it at Long and McQuade in Toronto. It's for school, so well worth the investment.

The very first flute I had was a Gemeinhardt 2SP. Lasted me throughout middle school and high school. It had good sound, but it was quite heavy as I think it had a nickel body. It was just a student flute - not the open hole kind that I have now.

It's possible that your clarinet is missing the ligature - the metal piece that holds the reed in place. I know mine is missing the cork from the mouthpiece, so air leaks out a bit when you play it. Since I'm not a serious (or very good, for that matter) clarinet player, I'm thinking about getting one of the cheaper mouthpiece kits they have at Long and McQuade - mouthpiece, ligature, and molded cap.

I'd love to get a melodica, they're not that expensive, are they?
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote