Music Banter - View Single Post - Sneer's Emporium of Sound
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #145 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Pavement
Slanted & Enchanted

"Summer Babe (Winter Version)" – 3:16
"Trigger Cut/Wounded-Kite At :17" – 3:16
"No Life Singed Her" – 2:09
"In the Mouth a Desert" – 3:52
"Conduit for Sale!" – 2:52
"Zurich is Stained" – 1:41
"Chesley's Little Wrists" – 1:16
"Loretta's Scars" – 2:55
"Here" – 3:56
"Two States" – 1:47
"Perfume-V" – 2:09
"Fame Throwa" – 3:22
"Jackals, False Grails: The Lonesome Era" – 3:21
"Our Singer" – 3:09

I appreciate Pavement. A lot. This album is one of the best things to come out of the 90's and, whilst the band produced Wowee Zowee and Brighten The Corners are good, this is undeniably their magnum opus.

The reasons i love this album are, firstly, the lo-fi aesthetic; it gives the piece an amatuerish, personal feel that completely endears me to the music. In some parts it resembles the fall, in others the Velvet Underground, but it always retains an element of originality and dreamy pop sensibility. Its at times impassioned, at times introspective, at times aggressive, at times delicate, at times dark, at times joyous, but always compelling.

The songs are the other reason. Often i find an album gets by with the mood and/or atmosphere it conveys as a whole... the songs get lost in the entirety of it. Thats great, many musicians aim for that. But sometimes its nice to have a collection of songs that just grab you one after the other. This album does that for me, each track is strong and different, it would be silly to go selecting certain songs as highlights because each one has something to offer.

So there you have it. An album as influential as it is excellent. It opened the door for swarms of indie rock bands in the 90s, yet in its field in dont think it was surpassed and it remains a pinnacle of 90s music.
This review is fantastic. I love the way the album will mirror certain aspects of The Fall and Velvet underground. I can almost hear the slurred vocals of Lou Reed at times, but it's far from "ripping them off". It is indisputably one of the more influential albums towards the indie genre, and one of the most original and innovative albums of the 90's.
Looking forward to reading the rest of this!
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote