Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #63 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
It talks about irreducible complexity. Our entire universe is irreducibly complex. Have you ever read the book the science of god? It's quite an interesting read. It talks a lot about how finely tuned the universe is for life and that if the big bang would have been slightly different in any way, this life wouldnt have been possible.

To quote Stephen Hawking:

"The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. ... The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life."
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Here's the thing: Stephen Hawking scoffs at the idea of irreducible complexity. That quote you just used has been taken out of context. Allow me to pull another Hawking quote straight out of his latest book, "The Grand Design" (which I am holding here in my hands).

"Because gravity shapes space and time, it allows space-time to be locally stable but globally unstable. On the scale of the entire universe, the positive energy of the matter can be balanced by the negative gravitational energy, and so there is no restriction on the creation of whole universes. Because there is a law like gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing in the manner described in Chapter 6. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

This entire book is about why recent developments in science have made it unnecessary to invoke God when attempting to explain the beginning of all things. So let's be crystal clear for a moment: Stephen Hawking, one of the most prominent quantum physicists in the world, thinks that God is not a necessary element in the equation of life. Another interesting fact is that a famous Gallup poll from 1998 found that only 7% of members in the National Academy of Sciences believe in God.

This leads me to conclude that it is almost never in religion's best interest to appeal to science when seeking proof for the supernatural. In regard to Duce's hypothesis, I'm still not entirely sure what he's trying to get at, but I will say this:

If someone claims to have knowledge, with certainty, that God exists, or that something supernatural has occurred (such as Astral Projections or Out-of-Body experiences), it becomes clear that either they are lying, or their brain has for some reason short-circuited and tricked them. So yes, I will say that God is most certainly in your mind because there is no evidence that he/she/it is anywhere else.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote