Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #70 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I don't think irreducible complexity can be so easily ruled out when it comes to the birth of the universe.

I can't be so arrogant. While I'm not religious, nor do I believe in the Bibles story of creation, I cannot allow myself to draw these kinds of conclusions. The book cannot yet be closed. We still have much to learn.

Stephen Hawking may be a very renowned physicist - but as I mentioned earlier - so is Roger Penrose. He shared the Wolf Prize with Mr. Hawking in 1988 for his contributions to our understanding of the universe. Penrose is an atheist and I'm sure he doesn't think a god was necessary for life. However, he still has beliefs such as this:

"I think I would say that the universe has a purpose, it's not somehow just there by chance ... some people, I think, take the view that the universe is just there and it runs along–it's a bit like it just sort of computes, and we happen somehow by accident to find ourselves in this thing. But I don't think that's a very fruitful or helpful way of looking at the universe, I think that there is something much deeper about it."

I don't necessarily believe in any deities, but I will not call myself an atheist. I remain agnostic towards the subject. There doesn't have to be a god or deity in order for this life to be more than just a "survival of the fittest".
Why would a universe that lacks a creator have "purpose"? If you don't believe that a sentient being sits behind the curtains and calls the shots, then from what source is a "purpose" derived to be attributed to our existence, or the existence of the universe?

And how does this discussion of purpose even relate to irreducible complexity?
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote