Music Banter - View Single Post - 2011 Top Album Lists
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
Phantom Limb
Chocolate Homunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
No, I don't think it is. What you do with a sound is more important than just having a sound. Otherwise something is likely to be flavour of the month or year, but will not really last.
I disagree. I think that making the effort to actually do something in a new way is very important. There's lots of "good" pop music being put out every day that all sounds quite similar to me. Take Adele for example. She is beloved by critics and the common people alike but all her music is is a rehashing of past pop ballads. Yes, it's well put together, but is it interesting? Not in the slightest. To make a truly great album you have to think outside the box a little bit, and maybe that doesn't mean pioneering a new sound, but it does mean that you do things in a unique enough way that you stand above the crowd. Sufjan Stevens is a good example. I'm not that fond of his music, but I respect it a hell of a lot more than I respect anything Adele or Beyonce has done. It's because he puts the effort in to be unique. Most REALLY popular bands do have a sound that was at one point original to some degree. Radiohead wouldn't be where they are if all they did was remake Pablo Honey over and over again.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote