Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson: Off The Wall- 1979
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I don't remember liking it much in the past. Rock With You is ok. Don't really care how groundbreaking it is or not, just whether it is any good.
I do think that being a groundbreaking album is an important component to some albums, and I consider an album's overall impact in my reviews. As for this one, I only bring up the issue of being groundbreaking because so many reviewers claim that it groundbreaking, and I just don't see it. The All Music Guide raves about "Off The Wall." They gave it a 5 out 5, which is higher than they scored "Bad."

At the end of the day, I'm with you. The main issue is whether the album is good and memorable, and for me, "Off The Wall" just doesn't really stick.

"Thriller" was really Jackson's first groundbreaking album, and I think "Bad" is his magnum Opus, where he wrote 8 of the 10 songs himself, and 9 of those songs were all released as charting singles over a period of 2-years. Whether you like Michael Jackson and pop music or not, that's an amazing accomplishment.