Music Banter - View Single Post - Clipse
Thread: Clipse
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
How come it's a guilty pleasure? Cause rap about selling cocaine?
No, it's not the cocaine, it's that all of their lyrics are based on what everybody hates about rap. Their themes are: Selling coke, making more money than you by selling that coke, spending that money on trashy women and limousine rides, and, oh yeah, also making more than you or your family will ever make just by rapping about this stuff.

Kind of embarrassing lyrically, really, as pretty much every song covers one or more of those topics. Also, while the beats are good, they're not really in the style that I like. They rap over a good version of crappy production if that makes any sense.

But these guys have serious talent. They're both clever and have interesting cadences and delivery. And, of course, it'd be stupid of me to hold good, intelligent rappers above talking about drugs, money, and bitches ALL of the time like Clipse do. I'd just like them better if they rapped about more interesting subject matter. Also, without the Neptunes the beats are pretty terrible like most lazy, overly repetitive and electronic dirty south beats.

Despite all of this I like them but that's why I feel guilty about it.