Music Banter - View Single Post - Foster the People
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Smythe Dawonder (KLM)
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
Yeah, see that's not what I would call Standard. In truth, I don't think it would be possible to denote any music as standard, as there is no musical standard... There is standard within a genre, true. Had you said "Standard Alt/Indie-pop", or something similar, I would have been more inclined to agree out of hand.
best thing said is this thread... Came into this thread because I think Foster the people is an awesome band... from the name to the music.

funny story, In Toronto we have a major Alternative station and a bunch of top 40 stations, which all sound the same and play an awful set of urban trash and cornball chart music, besides the point. Edge, Alternative station , starts killing Pumped up Kicks and push Foster the people as this indie rock band. Then the album drops, and Edge pretty much erased Pumped up Kicks from memory as the rest of the world learned just how pop cultured the Torches album actually was. Was a funny summer end result being Pumped up Kicks being in heavy rotation for about half of the year .

I think the album is great tho. First listen I could tell they were from Sunny California. It's just so cheery, everything was so cheery. My favourite songs
have to be Hustling and Miss you but the whole thing is one collage of a general idea. Which is important to me with any album.

I also feel like Pumped up Kicks doesn't sit within the demographic of the sessions that made this album. Most likely it was the first recorded song. It was a great song but Torches is upbeat, electronic and poppy. I find it hard to call it alternative at all honestly. Still think it's great tho.