Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is Madonna so overrated?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
I don't either. However, I think you have to remember the gay fanbase latches on due to the fact that campy disco type stuff is their thing. That's what keeps her in business, but not what made her humongous. What made her humongous in the 80s was the controversy her videos generated.

By today's standards, they're what EVERY pop star does. At her time, they were edgy, but not nearly as. But during her time, music video centric hysteria was massive. Both right, and left wing politicians were on the crusade, and she was there at the right time to be the witch for them to try to burn.

I mean, after all, they were throwing fits about Twisted Sister's looney tunes videos. Madonna's videos were way harsher. Considering how drenched with cleavage (and fairly enough half naked men, which probably helps with the gay audience) they were, how can that publicity not skyrocket you into superfame?
Yeh gay icon stuff tends to happen more later with some female singers as they decline or in retrospect, not really when they start out and are normally at their peak. Madonna was considered sexy in some way when she started out.