Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #1081 (permalink)
debaserr
eat the masters

I'm completely new to this Sandy Bridge overclocking thing, but I have a decent amount of experience with overclocking in general. I want to tell you what I've done to see if you see any errors in my method. I gathered all of my tips from random google searches and youtube videos.

Setup:

i5 2500K (Hyper 212 Evo)
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
G.Skill 8gb 1600 9-9-9-24
Radeon HD 5770
OCZ SilentXStream 600W
Antec Three Hundred Case
Ambient Room: 65F - 68F
Idle Temp: 24C

BIOS Settings Altered (everything else is default):

Multi: 45
Fixed Vcore: 1.35v
Turbo Boost Power Limit: 250 (short) 200 (long) 1 (whatever third option is)
Core Current Limit: 200
LLC: 5 (Stock but notable)
Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Stress Test Method & Results:

Intel Burn Test: (4 threads, max stress, 10 pass (planning on running 50 tonight))

Load Vcore: 1.232 - 1.272
Max Load Temp: 60c

A few questions I have:

Is my stress testing method sufficient? Are you going to make me use P95?

Are my settings good? Do you have any recommendations or warnings? I really have no clue what I'm doing with the Turbo Boost Power Limit and Core Current Limit, do they look ok?

What settings do you foresee needing to be changed if I attempt a higher overclock (I will probably push it harder, maybe 65C load or so). I know I will probably have to enable PLL Overvoltage for anything much higher than this.

Is it OK that I'm using a Fixed Vcore? I've seen multiple places recommend using either LLC or an Offset. My initial preference is to leave it at Fixed and just work around the vdroop (that's what I've always done before).

I really want to try and keep the power saving options enabled, I plan on using this setup for a long time. Is there a problem with keeping these enabled?

Additional Turbo Voltage is an option that sounds extremely scary, is it OK that I've left it on Enabled/Auto?

Thanks in advance!