Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #10851 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Really? I love Scott Pilgrim in terms of the visuals and the humour but the protagonist is a douchebag. I couldn't sympathise with him in the slightest.
That's actually one of the things that I really liked about the movie is that we weren't forced to like Scott right away. Too many times romantic comedies try to make us like the protagonist right away without giving too much away about them except they're soft, sensitive nice guys whose only major hurdle is convincing the film's love interest that they're much better for them than the macho douchebag who's also competing. It all smacks a little too much of author surrogate to me, in fact the only movie that did that well enough for me not to really care about it was Say Anything and that's because it's John Cusack.

It was kind of refreshing to see some restraint put into Scott's character arc and actually made us watch our way through the movie in order to like his character as he slowly realizes his choices have consequences and he's nowhere near as old or mature as he thinks he is, while all through the execution of a video game.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote