Music Banter - View Single Post - Something I was wondering about.....
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
If one frequency is 1/2 the length of another it will always bear a stronger relationship to it than one that's 1/7 the length.
But what does that mean 'stronger relationship'? It's like saying "Ketchup always works on fries". Traditionally, it does. But not everyone likes ketchup, and not everyone likes fries, and there are probably people who like both only independently. In some countries, people like mayo with fries, in other the thought of mixing the two is repulsive.

This is my main issue with theory. It can tell you where things are distant, but the strength of the relationship between two things is entirely interpretable.

You can't mathematically chart one's enjoyment. Personally, I think music is way too mathematically focused, and not conceptually focused enough. Tell somebody what chords are playing in a song, they'll be interested for two seconds. Tell somebody what the song is 'about', they'll remember that every time they listen.

To me, sometimes theory sounds like counting the length of the scenes of a movie to figure out whether it's a good movie or not.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote