Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #184 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeden888 View Post
Everything evolves as it pertains to things changing over time. However, as it applies to the concept of evolutionism, a biological process, I simply don't see it.

I will be the first to admit that maybe I am not as well schooled as some of you on this subject, only to say that as I see it, it is apparent that we are no longer 'evolving' as a specie. I actually see evolutionism as more of a devolving process. This is the way it appears to me, and, if anyone can show me the error in this belief, I would be happy to hear it.
Without wishing to sound mean or disrespectful, I seem to remember you claiming that you had a degree in psychology. If this is true, these comments are very perplexing.

First of all, let's clear up the terms. "evolutionism" is not the same as "evolution". "Evolutionism" is a belief that all organisms are bound to increase in complexity. It also a belief which concerns cultural evolution. It is not a particularly useful term, since it's main users are creationists who want to deride the scientific consensus. It is not to be confused with the biological principle.

Secondly, if you hold the idea that humans have reached the peak of their development and will not evolve further, this comes across to me as a very anthropocentric position. Just because we can't see any new avenue for us to evolve into, this doesn't rule it out. For example, it may surprise you to learn of all the vestigial organs in the body, for which their function is no longer required. For example, the coccyx: we don't need a tail bone any more and it has been removed from the body on several occasions with no adverse effects.
What I'm saying is that considering the human body to be in it's most perfect state and "we are no longer 'evolving' as a species" is false. Evolution continues, and it is anthropocentric to view otherwise.
And coming to the most important part, the brain. We know very little about the brain, and considering the limitations of human intelligence, I can't see how anyone can claim that the current state of the human brain is the most advanced intelligence can be.

And when the human brain develops further, surely then the creativity of humans will also develop: a lot of music relies on simple chord sequences and fairly similar content.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the point is that when evolution has allowed our brains a greater scope of creativity, the effects on music will become manifest.

Quote:
Most of you hear the music. I see modern music as more of a message from a higher consciousness.
It's a music forum, everyone here listens to music
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote