Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #10852 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
Really? I've always seen Scott Pilgrim as pretty much flawless. Especially the humor. It's a teen comedy with some originality, and one of the few that actually succeeds in maintaining sympathy for the loser main character.

Probably one of the most fiercely anti-semitic things I've ever seen. Pretty much flat out portrays the Jews as a powerful black magic cult, continually using the star of David juxtaposed to fearful scenes. Which is strange because it's actually based of Jewish folklore. Anyway, It's a pretty damn good film. By German Expressionists standards, it's quite accessible(May not be the quality of say Dr.Mabuse, but the first film was 5 hours long, and full of details).

I'd say it's quite well plotted, the actual story arc is fairly well thought out. There's some silliness(A child debilitating the golem in the end by tricking him with an apple?), but generally a decent film for those who can stomach films of it's slow, laborious, dated variety, and aren't bothered by it's very strange, and dated, Jewish stereotypes.
Ska you are catching up on some damn classics

As for Scott Pilgrim I would have loved it more if I was in the same age bracket that's all but I enjoyed it.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote