Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #200 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

No, that one doesn't work either.
"This video is not available in your country"
I know the song though, so don't worry.

Quote:
I can't explain it, it has to be experienced to understand. Or, even experienced and not understood completely. The little family feud that goes on inside our little minds is part of it.

Or, if I try, I'll irritate the hell out of someone for talking metaphysics, and archetypes. The monad can drive you mad
Would you be offended if I say that I don't have a clue what you mean?
And I think we are a little side tracked from discussing Letvin's book:

Quote:
"Music," Pinker lectured us, "pushes buttons for language ability (with which music overlaps in several ways); it pushes buttons in the auditory cortex, the system that responds to the emotional signals in a human voice crying or cooing, and the motor control system that injects rhythm into the muscles when walking or dancing."

"As far as biological cause and effect are concerned," Pinker wrote in The Language Instinct (and paraphrased in the talk he gave to us), "music is useless. It shows no signs of design for attaining a goal such as long life, grandchildren, or accurate perception and prediction of the world. Compared with language, vision, reasoning, and physical know-how, music could vanish from our species and the rest of our lifestyle would be virtually unchanged."
I [Levitin] happen to think that Pinker is wrong, but I'll let the evidence speak for itself. Let me back up first a hundred and fifty years to Charles Darwin... Might music play a role in sexual selection? Darwin thought so. In The Descent of Man he wrote, "I conclude that musical notes and rhythm were first acquired by the male or female progenitors of mankind for the sake of charming the opposite sex. Thus musical tones became firmly associated with some of the strongest passions an animal is capable of feeling, and are consequently used instinctively..." In seeking mates, our innate drive is to find--either consciously or unconsciously--someone who is biologically and sexually fit, someone who will provide us with children who are likely to be healthy and able to attract mates of their own. Music may indicate biological and sexual fitness, serving to attract mates.
Just to jog everyone's memory...
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote