Music Banter - View Single Post - King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King- 1969
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
A lot of very subjective comments I thought, particularly the last one. You obviously prefer King Crimson to The Moody Blues, but some out there might not agree with you. And ultimately who really cares who was the first (if it can even be accurately judged anyway, which I doubt). I remember liking about three songs at the most off the album, which means I'd rate it behind On The Threshold of a Dream from the same year.
I will make the case that reviews need a level of educated subjectivity to be interesting and relevant. Otherwise, you could basically eliminate a rating system as well, and if you do that, than you are really treating all albums as equals, which I doubt any of us do. The point of reviews is to express an opinion, which means that there has to be some subjectivity-- the great thing about this is that the reader has the option to agree, disagree, or to just call the whole review unfounded. Any of these are fair reactions because by putting a review out on an open forum, the writer is putting his opinion on the metaphorical chopping block.

In terms of not really caring about who came first-- that's a subjective comment in itself, in that some people care and some people don't. I find it interesting to create a timeline in music, but you are right. There's definitely a level of subjectivity and opinion to it, and there's is no way to 100% accurately judge it, so I definitely agree with you there. Also, notice that I make it clear that King Crimson didn't invent Progressive Rock, they just put out what is now widely considered the first progressive rock album. I also never knock the Moody Blues (a band that I really like).

Lastly, I agree that my last statement is a pretty bold statement, which probably should have been softened a bit, but I'll maintain that "In the Court of the Crimson King" is certainly in the running for an album that "did more to push the boundaries of progressive rock than any other album in history."