Music Banter - View Single Post - King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King- 1969
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I know, but there always seems to be the unspoken assumption that everyone cares a great deal about who is thought to have been first with something. And that's even though, ironically, people often seem to have a limited knowledge about precursers of styles anyway and just talk about the most famous things with this.
Definitively agree, and in progressive rock (just like any genre) the debate is discussed ad nauseam as to was first. You have the corner of support for The Beatles' SPLHCB as the first, the corner for The Moody Blues, the corner for Pink Floyd, and the corner for all the other smaller acts like The Nice. For me, and as I mention in my review, the incarnation of progressive rock is not equatable to the Big Bang theory applied to rock with KC's ITCOTCK. I think all of the aforementioned bands played a role in the development of the sound, but ITCOTCK was the first to get the mainstream credit for it, and it had arguably the greatest impact on the other bands that really forged that original scene (Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc).