Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #10886 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
Because if you grow up in a country and spend all your life there, you will gain knowledge of historical trends through whatever media you consume, stories you are told and general interest in history. However, you will never get that with foreign countries (I wouldn't consider the UK and USA "foreign" to each other in the strictest sense) unless there is a vested interest in the particular traditions of that nation.
True. And the comparison I was making is that, for someone who grew up after the 80s, that decade is essentially a "foreign country" that they can only really experience as an outsider. You can learn all about politics and popular culture of the time but you can never have the experience of having lived through it.

Quote:
I think what it proves is that people will overlook average comedy because of the nostalgia, rather than anything else.
I think the flaw in that reasoning is that the people in question aren't overlooking the comedy, they're laughing hysterically at it.

Quote:
I think we have discussed it enough at this point. Let's talk about Withnail & I because I plan on watching it tonight!
I was enjoying the conversation actually—the reasons why different people find different things funny is something I find fascinating—but okay.

I've never seen Withnail & I but I'd like to. It's one of those movies I have to admit I'm worried I won't like, though, because it's been talked up a lot to me.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote