Music Banter - View Single Post - Transgender in Disney
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I think Disney films could incorporate more material supporting being yourself and who you feel you really are inside. Still, as has been said, the actual transgendered side of things is inherently sexual in western culture. I think it would be inappropriate and quite forced to put them in these movies. Sex is never explicit in children's movies, and adding this aspect would make it quite explicit if only for the fact that it would be confusing to children...even transgendered ones.

That being said, I can still envision a time when these issues are no longer taboo in our society and we can readily put these situations and characters into films with no problems. There are cultures in the world that view transexuality and homosexuality as quite a normal aspect of life, and making a movie about it probably wouldn't be an issue for them. For us, it is still hugely taboo. I mean, we still debate gay marriage rights...and if you really step back and look at it, I'm sure we can all see how ridiculous that problem is. We are a far cry from allowing it in a children's movie. It will be incredibly gradual, but once it is no longer taboo, I think it could happen.