Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Like or Dislike Women in Bands/as Singers
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #202 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

I think a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that a lot of times (especially in rock music) a female vocalist is just being used as a sex symbol to draw attention to the band. She's living up to the classic rock stereotype while ignoring the subtle misogyny implied by her role (ie: women can't actually rock, they can only sing - for a band of men).

Janis Joplin is a very easy classic example. She had a great voice and ability to lead a crowd. But she started as the singer for Quicksilver Messenger Service, and as such, her job was to sing. That was it. SHUT UP and just do what the men tell you to do. It was only close to the end of her career and life that she split from that group and started getting her own act together, and it was apparently coming together nicely prior to her untimely end.

I keep seeing the same thing over and over and over again in so many bands. There was a thread about women in rock a while back and the majority of the clips posted featured the exact same thing every time. A band of dudes with a cosplay girl playing the exact same kind of metal as every other band in their subgenre with vocals that sound like every other band in their subgenre only they get a bunch of extra attention because the vocalist has boobs. It's slowly changing but for every woman I see rocking out on an instrument I see 100 being propped up in front of some lame genero-rock band to try getting attention the dudes on the instruments were never able to achieve on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote