Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Talented Musician?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
If we're speaking rock, it's hard to argue against Frank Zappa.
This reminds me of the conversation we had about Bob Dylan and Frank Zappa.

I came across some info on their relationship. I thought you'd be interested since you're such a big Zappa fan and you despise Dylan.

To quote Zappa:

"Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues was a monster record. I heard that thing and I was jumping all over the car. And then when I heard the one after that, "Like a Rolling Stone", I wanted to quit the music business because I felt if this wins and does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything. It sold, but nobody really responded to it the way that they should have."

In 1982, Bob Dylan needed a producer for his new album. On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. Zappa said: "I get a lot of weird calls, and someone suddenly called up saying, 'This is Bob Dylan. I want to play you my new songs'." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Dylan played eleven new songs on the piano, humming the lyrics. "I thought they were good songs. He seemed like a nice guy. Didn't look like it would be too hard to work with him", said Zappa.

The teaming of Zappa and Dylan never happened though, for one reason or another. Mark Knopfler ended up producing the album.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote