Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #98 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

This, I'm sure, will be horribly worded. With my ADD, I'm apt to say things twice, lose focus and regain it at a later point, and maybe put in completely pointless sentences that don't belong. I'm okay with it. I hope you are too. At least I'm honest, right? I am Charles Bukowski, except for the drinking and poetry.

I've experienced quite a bit of evolution in my musical taste, thanks to MB. I went outside my comfort zone, and now I listen to a big mess of genres. This is to be expected if you really do enjoy music, and all of the possibilities. The thing that has me wondering is, why is it I can't get into some of the most revered and influential artists? Or even some genres? As well as other questions?

My friend AJ was talking about some of the biggest guitar players of all time, and realizing I hadn't really heard any of their work, I checked a few examples out from all the big names (Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.), and none of it really clicked with me.

After thinking about it for awhile, I realized this is true for quite a few musicians. Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Bach, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zepplin, etc. I could do a list of musicians for multiple genres, but that would take forever. When I name these musicians, I don't mean that I don't like their music. It's simply that I don't really go out of my way to listen to them, and when I do, I always think "yeah that's good". I've never been compelled to get any of it for myself. Why?

I love EDM, as many of you know, so I thought about researching the beginnings. Naturally I listened to Kraftwerk. I thought it was awesome. So revolutionary! Did I download it? No. Did I like it enough to listen to it again and again? No. I tried Jean Michel Jarre. Kinda cool, not my thing though. Klaus Schulze. I'm alright. I guess there's no luck here either.

Classical. It's a weird thing with Classical. On the one hand, if I ever have to use the radio, I will always put it on the Classical station. Now, do I have any true Classical on my iPhone? Yes, Arvo Pärt (which I don't listen to often). Mozart, Bach, Beethoven? No. Do I like it when I listen to it? Oh, definitely! I just never feel all that compelled to listen to it. That's sort of the story of it all. I never really feel compelled to listen to anything, except for when I'm in a car or plane or anything moving (for whatever reason).

Naturally, since I love music, you'd think I would be listening to some now? No. I don't really ever listen to music at home. Ever. Unless it's to see if I like it enough to download, or put on my iPhone. At college? No, except for maybe to cover loud people in the cafeteria. I prefer just sitting outside, listening to cars and birds, people talking, the wind, etc. What I like listening to most is silence.

The vast majority of what I find, and end up liking, ends up falling by the wayside in due time. It's rare for me to ever truly like anything. When I do, I'm not exactly sure why. Sometimes I need to hear the whole thing, sometimes fast forwarding through it and only really listening to a minute of my favorite bits will suffice. This just seems wrong. How could someone that loves music do this? I honestly don't know. I give up trying to figure it out.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote